If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Eggs Newberg were a popular breakfast dish at Hearst Castle back when Clark Gable and Gary Cooper were regular guests - deana@lostpastremembered
- 4 poached eggs
- 4 slices of toast
- 1 recipe Shrimp Newberg Sauce
Shrimp Newberg Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry or madeira
- dashes nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked, shelled shrimp
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- parsley, broccoli, asparagus or slices of pimento
- Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler (or in a heavy pan using low heat) and add the flour, salt and cayenne and mix well. Add the cream and milk gradually, stirring. Cook and stir until thickened. Add shrimp. .
- Just before serving, add the egg yolks and flavorings. Do not allow to boil.
- After you have made the sauce, poach your eggs and make your toast. Pour the sauce over your eggs and serve with parsley and/or a vegetable like broccoli, asparagus or slices of pimento