If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A slow simmering Italian comfort meal. Sauce and hearty beef in your crockpot or sauce pot served over bow pasta. Great for anytime of the week - Marisa R
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 fennel bulb, washed, stems trimmed
- 1 carrot, peeled, ends cut, washed
- 5 asparagus spears, washed, woody ends snapped off
- 10-12 beef outside round, cutlets
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup full bodied red wine
- 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, chopped include stems
- 4 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 box farfalle or bow pasta, cooked and drained
- Preheat a large sauce pot, big enough to hold everything. On med heat add oil and onions, cook stirring occasionally for 3-5min to soften. Meanwhile cut vegetables ,10-12 pieces 1/4" thick match stick pieces 3"-4" long, set aside On a clean cutting board place 1 cutlet narrow end facing you. Place 1 slice of ham on top and 1 piece of each vegetables in a neat pile on end facing you. Roll away from you, making a tight bundle, secure with toothpicks or metal skewers. Continue for all bundles. Push onions off to one side of the pot and begin to brown bundles on all sides. Move bundles around to make space for all the them. It doesn't matter if they stack when browned. Add wine continue cooking to reduce alcohol by 1/3 on medium high heat. Add tomato puree, spices, herbs and seasonings. Bring to a gently boil, add water and paste, stir. Reduce heat to a slow simmer. Stir occasionally, if liquid reduces too much add more water or wine. Cook for 1 1/2hrs. until fork tender. Serve over cooked pasta, removing picks before serving. *Slow Cooker: Meat and sauce can be prepared the night before and placed in slow cooker in the morning. When all ingredients come to a boil, transfer to a slow cooker and cook for 4-6hrs. If it becomes too watery, leave lid slightly ajar, to allow steam to escape.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.