Author Notes: I've made many variations of the classic Italian florentine, and chanced upon this delicious combination last year. - MrsWheelbarrow
Serves 5 dozen
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 pound sliced almonds
- 1 cup crystalized ginger, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup flour
- Bring butter, cream, sugar and salt just to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Toss almonds, ginger, cherries, raisins and flour until combined.
- Add the cream/butter mixture to the nuts and fruit and mix to blend. Chill overnight.
- Stir well, then portion out the cookies, about 1 Tbls each, forming and pressing each portion into a flat round. Place on parchment lined sheet pans about an inch apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
- Cool completely, then peel from parchment. Store between layers of wax paper. Will keep for about a week.
- *Note - you want no more than 1 c of dried fruit, and can substitute apricots, currant, blueberries, mango, etc.