Author Notes: My mom use to have these cookies ready for me after school.
I had gotten the basic recipe from my mom but the I was missing one key ingredient.
I made this recipe for the longest time and something was not right. One Sunday my sister was over and had a cookie and said they tasted just like Mom's without the Rice Krispies in them. Rice Krispies! Mom had told me about the oatmeal and coconut flakes and nuts and that in the late 60's she started adding wheat germ but did not mention the Rice Krispies.
These cookies are really good. I know 2 little kids in Maryland who would be disappointed if they see me without the cookies. This recipe is near and dear to my heart. It is written as my Mom told it to me (except for the Rice Krispies part). - Lucia from Madison
Serves 6 to 8 dozen cookies
- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups brown sugar (my mom did not specify light or dark brown sugar but I usually use light))
- 2 eggs
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, optional
- 1 cup oatmeal (again my mom did not specify instant or old fashion, I use which ever I have)
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 6 cups Memories of Mom!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- Sift flour and salt in small bowl.
- Using a mixer blend the butter and sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Blend hot water and baking soda.
- Add baking soda and flour to butter mixture.
- Add all other ingredients except the Rice Krispies. Stir in the Rice Krispies to mix in.
- Roll them into about a teaspoon size balls.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 6 minutes at 350 degrees. Rotate the pans from top shelf to bottom shelf of oven and bake for anther 6 minutes.
- Remove from trays and cool on wire rack.
- I usually get about 8 dozen cookies. It sounds like a lot but I make them small. That way you can eat more.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal