Author Notes: This recipe came from a friend of the family and we have used it for so many occasions -- most notably a few meet the "machatunim" for my brothers. This is also a great recipe to have frozen and ready to pop in the oven when needed. - Stephanie__
Serves a bunch
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 sticks of room temperature butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbs of granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (can use plain yogurt)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Mix flour and baking powder in bowl.
- In the large bowl of a electric mixer, beat butter on high until creamy.
- Add sugar and beat for 3-5 minites until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating after each.
- Scrape sides of bowl, reduce speed to low and flour mixture. Mix only until blended.
- Add buttermilk. Mix only until blended.
- Remove from machine and sprinkle chocolate chips into batter.
- Scoop 1/3 cupful of dough onto ungreased cookie sheet placing mounds two inches apart.
- Loosely cover dough with plastic wrap and refigerate about 45 minutes (of freeze and when hard, remove scones to a plastic bag and freeze for up to 6 weeks).
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Then turn heat down to 325 and bake another 13 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!