If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Okay, you know this one: classic Toll House Cookie dough is so rich and forgiving that you can improvise by adding just about anything you have on hand in the cereal and granola department, including dried fruit, nuts, coconut. So check your cupboards before you start - this one is an ideal recipe to finish off those near-empty boxes with dribs and drabs of good stuff.
The no-fuss, no-measure method: Once I have the basic proportions for the dough -- I mix with abandon: a scoop of peanut butter, a cup of rolled oats, granola (if I have it), pecans or walnuts, wheat germ for the heck of it, dried cherries or raisins, or both, shredded coconut and of course chocolate, the chips or bits or bars, chopped.
Try as you may, you can't wreck this recipe: that's what makes it a classic. - Vivian Henoch
Makes about 48 cookies
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat baking flour
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate chopped in a processor
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup raisins or dried cherries, cranberries
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F
- COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a small bowl
- BEAT butter granulated and brown sugar in a large mixer until creamy. Add vanilla and one egg at a time, beating well after each. Add peanut butter.
- ADD FLOUR MIXTURE gradually and beat until well mixed. Stir in nuts, chocolate, fruit and cereal additions.
- DROP dough in rounded tablespoons on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. BAKE until golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal