If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband cooks me breakfast every weekend. And it's crazy, but my favorite part of the plate is when the english muffin smeared with jam accidentally (on purpose) touches the sunny side up egg covered in sambal oelek. Sweet, spicy, eggy, wonderful!
This "hash" is inspired by that sweet and spicy combination. It sounds completely ridiculous, but hear me out - the pancetta cubes crisp up and almost resemble corned beef (the classic hash meat that everybody knows and loves). The slightly sweet cornflakes and extremely spicy sambal oelek combine for that perfect flavor combination. Unlike most hashes, which I find unpleasantly "mushy," this has some texture to it! And of course, you have to "put an egg on it!" (my life motto). - foxeslovelemons
- 1/2 pound pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 2 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Milk or chicken broth (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until crispy and most of the fat has rendered, stirring frequently. Spoon off and reserve all but 2 teaspoons drippings.
- Stir in onions and sambal oelek, cook 30 seconds. Add cornflakes and stir to combine; cook 1 minute. If cornflakes are too crunchy for your taste, stir in a splash of milk or broth at a time, until they are a suitable consistency.
- Meanwhile, fry the eggs (you'll want to start this step in the last few minutes of the pancetta cooking time). Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add enough of the reserved pancetta drippings to thinly coat the bottom of the skillet. Add eggs; sprinkle with pepper. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until whites are cooked through and yolks are still soft.
- Spoon hash onto plates; top with fried egg and garnish with parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal