Author Notes: I winged it with this one today after trying a grits cheesecake version (I'll enter that too if more than one recipe is allowed). I wanted to try making a graham cracker-type crust out of granola after running it through the food processor. Then I baked some cocoa-dusted oatmeal to serve as a topping. In between is peanut buttery, because almost everything is better with peanut butter. I imagine this would work with crunchy peanut butter, but I was working with what I had on hand. It might also work better in a springform pan. - Kristin Irani Myruski
Food52 Review: I had made my mind up about this recipe before I finished reading the ingredients. Peanut butter, chocolate, and just enough nuttiness from the oats to take you back to the no-bake oatmeal cookies you had as a kid -- how can you go wrong? I took Kristin's advice and used crunchy peanut butter, plus the granola I happened to have on hand. Granola crust is a revelation: it's simple, yet adds depth, cutting the sweetness of the peanut cream and chocolate. This easy-going, refreshing indulgence is just what the doctor ordered, and it's sure to please a crowd. - The Omnomnivore
Makes an 8x11 pan
For Granola Crust and Oatmeal Topping
- 1 cup granola (I used vanilla), ground in food processor
- 5 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oatmeal, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine granola, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons of butter and press into an 8x11 pan. Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Combine the oatmeal, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, pinch of salt, and remaining tablespoon of melted butter, spread on sheet pan, and bake (also at 350 degrees) for about 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Peanut Butter Ice Box Cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups heavy cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cream together the cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Fold in whipped cream and peanuts, spoon over granola crust, and chill (ideally do this a half day or day ahead so it can set up)
- In the microwave, heat chocolate and water for 1 minute. Stir and return to microwave in 15 second intervals until melted. Allow to cool slightly.
- Spread chocolate over the peanut butter and sprinkle oatmeal streusel over top