Author Notes: easiest pickle recipe ever! this recipe was created at the village market by myself & fellow chefs Kate Baron & Stephanie Shelton. it's one of the most well loved condiments atop our famous fried egg sandwich that we have sold thousands of out of a little 5 X 3 foot kitchen. it's easy to make and a serious crowd pleaser on sandwiches, pulled pork, carnitas tacos, eggs, soups, salads and so forth. - eyeoftheavocado
Makes 1 quart
- 2-3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar (white vinegar will do)
- 1/2 cup filtered water, warmed to 150 degrees
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons peppercorn whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole red peppers (optional)
- heat up your water in a medium saucepan & dissolve the sugar in the warming water. while the sugar dissolves, thinly slice your onions.
- add your onions to a large big basin bowl, pour salt over onions and toss to incorporate throughly. add in your peppercorns, vinegar, and optional red peppers and toss again.
- once the sugar is dissolved into the water, pour it over the red onions. toss the onions in the warmed water/vinegar mix and let sit till room temperature. add your bay leaf.
- strain the onions into a quart sized mason jar and then carefully pour in pickling liquid over the top. refrigerate for 12 hours, the onions will lighten in color and the pickling liquid will turn a lovely soft pink.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar