If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: easiest pickle recipe ever! this recipe was created at the village market by myself & fellow chefs Kate Baron & Stephanie Shelton. it's one of the most well loved condiments atop our famous fried egg sandwich that we have sold thousands of out of a little 5 X 3 foot kitchen. it's easy to make and a serious crowd pleaser on sandwiches, pulled pork, carnitas tacos, eggs, soups, salads and so forth. - eyeoftheavocado
Makes 1 quart
- 2-3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar (white vinegar will do)
- 1/2 cup filtered water, warmed to 150 degrees
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons peppercorn whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole red peppers (optional)
- heat up your water in a medium saucepan & dissolve the sugar in the warming water. while the sugar dissolves, thinly slice your onions.
- add your onions to a large big basin bowl, pour salt over onions and toss to incorporate throughly. add in your peppercorns, vinegar, and optional red peppers and toss again.
- once the sugar is dissolved into the water, pour it over the red onions. toss the onions in the warmed water/vinegar mix and let sit till room temperature. add your bay leaf.
- strain the onions into a quart sized mason jar and then carefully pour in pickling liquid over the top. refrigerate for 12 hours, the onions will lighten in color and the pickling liquid will turn a lovely soft pink.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar