If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Maybe it's because it seems more personal, maybe it's because I get to lick the bowl afterwards, or maybe it's just because I'm cheap, but I really do think that homemade edible gifts are the best sort. This spicy-sweet chutney makes it's appearance in my kitchen every December before making its way to my friends' and family's Christmas stockings. —BurntCream
Makes around 1.5 litres
- 3 pounds ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 250 milliliters cider vinegar
- 1.6 pounds light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon nigella (black onion) seeds
- 3 star anise
- 3 black cardamon pods
- The effort of this chutney is minimal, and all in the prep. Once you have chopped, sliced and diced, just put everything into a large pan, stir to combine and simmer for around 1.5 - 2 hours until you are approaching a consistency that you like.
- Check the spicing and sweet/sour balance are to your liking and add a little more of anything that you think is lacking. Donâ€™t worry if itâ€™s not thickening up as much as you might like - it will thicken more as it cools.
- When ready, transfer into sterilised jars. To sterilise your jars, just wash them in hot water and then put them in an oven heated to 130C for around 10-20 mins.
- ou can eat this straight away with curries, chillies or cheese, or you can smother a ham in it before baking. The flavour will deepen within a few weeks and, kept in the fridge, it will last for months.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
Freeze It Right There
Frozen desserts like they're meant to be
All we want is frozen dessert.
Welcome to the winner's circle.
Your poolside essentials.
Recipe of the Day