If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Martha Stewart's Angel Food Cake turned into cupcakes, filled with a strawberry-sugar mixture, and topped with a strawberry whipped cream frosting. For step-by-step photos, go to my post at: http://www.icancookthat.org/2013/02/strawberry-shortcake-cupcakes.html - I Can Cook That
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites, room temperature
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 zest from lemon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 quarts container of strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces container cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4-5 strawberries, stems removed and finely chopped
- Begin by combining the 3/4 container of chopped strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- To make the angel food cake cupcakes, line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Zest the lemon and set the zest aside. Juice the lemon.
- Add the egg whites to a mixer and beat on medium high until foamy (about 1 minute).
- Add the lemon juice to the egg whites and beat until soft peaks form.
- Continue to beat, adding about 1 tablespoon sugar at a time, until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes, using 1 1/4 cups cups sugar in total. Add the vanilla and beat to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Sift the flour mixture over the egg-white mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, folding the flour into the egg whites using a rubber spatula each time. Be careful not to over mix, you want it to stay really fluffy.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake tins (about a heaping tablespoon in each one) and smooth the tops of each.
- Bake until golden, or approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan. While waiting for the cupcakes to cool, prepare the frosting.
- Combine the cream cheese, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla extract and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk on medium speed until smooth.
- While the mixture is still whipping, slowly pour in the heavy cream. Whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in the finely chopped strawberries.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a small paring knife to cut out the center of the cupcake.
- Fill with some of the strawberry-sugar mixture.
- Add the frosting to a plastic bag and cut a small corner off the bottom of the bag. Pipe the icing on to the cupcakes and top with a strawberry slice.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!