If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my mother's recipe. The ingredients are written down in the back of an old cookbook - without measurements. Use my measurements as a guideline. Feel free to add more sweetness (brown sugar or ketchup) or spice (jalapenos or Tabasco) to make it the way you like it. Use this sauce to baste meat on the grill or in the smoker and then serve it alongside the meat when it is done. - Waverly
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1 cup beer, any kind you like
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hickory flavored liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco, add more to taste
- 4 thin slices of lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- SAUTE: In a large deep-sided skillet, heat the olive oil over MEDIUM heat. When it is hot, add the onion and jalapenos and cook until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- BOIL/SIMMER: Add the ketchup, beer, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire, horseradish, lemon juice, vinegar, Tabasco, and liquid smoke. Stir over HIGH heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to LOW. Add the lemon slices, dried thyme, and salt and pepper and simmer until the flavors meld and the liquid is somewhat reduced, about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings, and levels of heat and sweet. Use sauce to baste and then to serve over grilled chicken, beef or pork.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.