If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My sauce is from the heart; 12 years ago I started it from scratch, working like a mad scientist, tinkering for weeks to get the balsamic flavor profile I was after. Fast forward a few years later…my mouth dropped open while watching Michael Chiarello make a sauce using similar ingredients, all the while stating how these flavors must run in his Italian blood; and I thought, it must be true!
This recipe is always a crowd pleaser however it is used - for pulled pork, ribs, dipping or my favorite for grilled pizza.
Makes 2 cups, approx.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (I sometimes use honey or agave)
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion powder
- 3 tablespoons dark balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/8 teaspoon, a pinch, sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon, a pinch, ground allspice
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- Optional – Tabasco to taste
- In a sauce pan melt the butter, browning it a bit. Add the sugar, onion powder, vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke, salt and allspice. Heat ingredients until they start to bubble, stir in tomato sauce and simmer, covered, for an hour. Stir in Tabasco sauce to taste, optional.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
All the Pastabilities
It's easy being green.
All the spring pastabilities.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
These chips are a little chili.
Judge our NEW books by their covers.
That was a close shave.