If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Cinco de Mayo inspired fish taco is the perfect option for an easy, healthful springtime weeknight dinner. The tequila and triple sec lend a subtle sweetness to the marinade, which is paired with lots of zesty lime, spicy cumin, chili powder and jalapeno, plus herby cilantro and garlic. Sweet, chewy corn tortillas compliment the flaky white fish seamlessly.
Keeping in mind first and foremost the "light and refreshing" aspect of these grilled fish tacos,I topped mine with a mild salse verde, queso fresco (or feta cheese), and thinly sliced avocado. Other optional add ons: try shredded cabbage or spring radish slices for a veggie-full filling (and beautiful purple hue), or light sour cream (turn it into a "chipotle aioli" by adding in a minced chipotle pepper and dash of honey) for creamy toppings.
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon triple sec (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 pound white, flaky fish (mahimahi, tilapia, cod)
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- queso fresco or low-fat feta cheese
- optional garnishes: 1 avocado, thinly sliced; red onion, thinly sliced; shredded cabbage, black bean mash; lime wedges
- Mix together lime juice, tequila, triple sec, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and chili powder in a small bowl. Place fish in a large shallow bowl and pour marinade over to coat. Cover bowl. (Alternatively, pour marinade into a large ziplock bag and add fish.) Place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours, turning once.
- To grill: Heat grill, and remove fish from marinade. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until fish is done and lightly charred, about 4 minutes per side. To pan-saute: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Remove fish from marinade, season with salt & pepper, and cook until fish is done and lightly browned on each side, 4-5 minutes.
- Prepare corn tortillas. Stack tortillas on a plate, separating each tortilla from the next with a water-dampened paper towel. Cook in microwave for 1 minute. (Alternatively, warm tortillas on grill along with fish, or in sauté pan with a quick midst of olive oil, 1 minute on each side.)
- Assemble tacos. Coarsely chop fish, and divide evenly amongst tortillas. (If using black bean mash, spread on tortillas first.) Next add shredded cabbage and/or red onion. Top with a scoop of salsa, crumbled cheese, avocado slices, and cilantro for garnish. Serve with lime wedges.
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.