Author Notes: Comfort food takes many forms, shifting with weather, palettes and age. Comfort foods aren’t often the most complicated of dishes, though often some of the most satisfying. This grilled chicken sandwich, dressed up with crisp flavors of radishes and farmer’s cheese (ricotta’s humbler cousin), is hearty enough to withstand the still-cool breeze of spring. (The grill pan I used for the recipe, too, keeps you indoors in case your palette has shifted towards spring before the climate in your backyard.) - CarolineWright
- 1 large bunch radishes, (1 cup radishes, cut into wedges + 1/2 cup radish greens)
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 chicken cutlets (1 1/2 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf ciabatta, split lengthwise and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 cup farmer’s cheese
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. In a medium bowl, combine radishes, vinegar and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken, turning once, until charred and cooked through, about 6 minutes total. Grill cut sides of bread until charred in spots, 2 minutes.
- Spread bottom 4 pieces of bread with cheese. Top with radish greens, chicken, pickles, and remaining bread slices to form 4 sandwiches.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!