If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This irresistible pound cake is so easy and so luscious, everyone who meets it falls in love. I think I’ll be remembered for this recipe whether or not I want to be. It has become my favorite cake, and it’s most requested by my favorite person to cook for. - ChefJune
Food52 Review: Looking for a simple, coconut-rich, satisfying cake? This is it. Moist on the inside, a tad crumbly on the outside, quick to whip up, and chock-full of coconut flavor, this cake is the perfect end to a bright summer day. The real jewel is the simple glaze at the end, which brings the flavor and sweetness of the cake to a whole new level. Eat it plain or topped with cream and fruit, whatever strikes your fancy, and enjoy it before others get to it and it disappears. - snowcitygirl
Makes one 10-inch tube (or bundt) cake, or two 9x5-inch loaf cakes
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 7 ounces shredded, unsweetened coconut (I get it at the health food store)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen-Massey)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Make sure the rack is in the center of the oven. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. (I use a bundt pan. You can also use two 9x5 loaf pans.)
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (“as a shampooed cat”).
- Add one cup flour and beat some more.
- Meanwhile, add the vanilla to the eggs (in a separate bowl). Then add eggs one at a time to batter, beating well after each addition.
- Now mix the coconut with the remaining one cup flour and the sea salt. Add to batter, using a wooden spoon to incorporate. Pour into pan(s).
- Bake about 45 minutes to one hour. Test with a cake tester or long toothpick to be sure it comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake. (If it doesn’t come out clean, leave it in a few minutes longer!)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
- Combine sugar and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add extract. Your glaze is now ready.
- When cake comes out of the oven, poke holes through cake with skewers and pour on glaze while cake is warm. Don’t remove the cake from the pan until it is completely cool.
- Teacher’s Tip: This cake is best 24 hours after baking. But it generally can't make it until then, so bake two and eat one warm and hold the other until the magic 24 hours are up!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
11 Ways to Become a Little More French
Live la vie en rose.
Live la vie en rose.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A feast for the ears.
Take these foods to go.