Author Notes: slightly sweet, slightly tangy with the cream cheese, with and a hint of spice. these are chewy and highly adaptable with fun add ins like chocolate and nuts. - kerrita k.
Makes ~ 24 macaroons
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1. optional - if you like more coconutty flavor lightly toast a handful of coconut in a the oven while it is preheating.
- 2. blend milk, cream cheese, vanilla, and spices until completely blended and there are no cream cheese lumps.
- 3. add egg, blending on low until incorporated.
- 4. add coconut and amendments (including the toasted coconut if you choose) - chocolate chips here, but also good with same volume of chopped nuts, dried cranberries, diced crystallized ginger, diced dried apricots.
- 5. mixture should hold together in a ball when pinched. scoop out with an ice cream scoop, forming ½ ball mounds (so you get chewy center with crisp edges) and put on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Space the about an inch apart (they do not spread).
- 6. bake for 18-20 minutes in a 425 oven. let cool on the cookie sheet
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut