Author Notes: I'm a porridge addict. My tummy never gets tired of starting the day with a steaming bowl of oaty goodness but I do look forward those slow weekend mornings that give me the time to cook this thai inspired breakfast. Its also pretty great as a comforting pud! - sarah cotterell
- 1 cup Black Rice, soaked overnight
- 6 Fresh dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice, I used oat...
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 banana, mashed
- Drain and rinse the soaked rice. Pop in a saucepan with a tiny pinch of salt and cover with plenty of fresh water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins.
- Drain rice and return to the pan, this time adding the milk, coconut cream, 1/4 cup of water, mashed banana and nutmeg.
- Again, bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat, string frequently, until thick and creamy. This should take about 15-20 mins.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut cream, some toasted hazelnuts and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Maybe even with a cup of masala chai, for a real treat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut