If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Our family just returned from a virgin islands sailing trip. There is a little beach bar in St. John, right where you get off the ferry dock. It is currently called High Tide but it has been through several re-incarnations. Throughout its history (as we know it) it has served our family favorite rum drink - the lime in da coconut. Cream of coconut, a whole lime, ice, and rum blended. Delicious. We also had a fabulous frozen key lime pie and the Lime Inn in Cruz Bay. Why not combine them into a coconut lime dessert! I chose a tart because I prefer a higher crust to filling ratio than you get in a pie. We added some toasted coconut to the crust, and a bit of nutmeg for a tropical feel. This can be made in an 11-inch or little tartlet pans (very cute). —meganvt01
Makes 1 tart
Toasted Coconut Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup toasted shredded sweetened coconut (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Stir ingredients together and press into the bottom of an 11-inch tart pan. Bake at 350 for 12 - 14 mins.
- *** NOTE: To make toasted coconut, heat the oven to 350, spread sweetened shredded coconut on a cookie sheet. Cook for 8 - 10 mins, stirring frequently until the coconut is nicely toasted.
Coconut Lime Filling and Coconut Whipped Cream
- 8 extra large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 1/2 cups cream of coconut
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 13.5 ounce cans full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- extra toasted sweetened shredded coconut for topping
- In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together egg yolks and lime juice. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, whisking constantly until the mixture reaches 160 degrees. Remove from the heat, and whisk in cream of coconut and lime zest. Pour into crust and freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Chill the cans of coconut milk for 4 hours or overnight, do not jostle. Then, use a can opener and open the top of the can. Scoop out the solid coconut milk - avoiding the thin water at the bottom. Mix the vanilla and confectioners sugar into the coconut solids and whip until it reaches the texture of whipped cream.
- To serve: Remove the tart 10 mins prior to serving. Top with coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.