Author Notes: The paradox with strawberries is although I love them, with small dip in whipped cream or sugar, is a fruit that I never use in my sweets. I have the impression that disappear into some sweet or annoying raw in others or simply decorative. Might not tried the right sweet, you can say and you are probably right.
So I decided to try some desserts with strawberries with simple ingredients and clear flavors. I started with the simplest. A pastry tart with roasted strawberries and whipped cream if you want (I want).
The dough is adapted from Martha Stewart. - mookies
Makes about 14 pieces
For the Dough:
- 1 & 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt to combine.
- Add butter, pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water, pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, gradually add 1 tablespoon more water). Do not overmix.
- Flatten dough into a disk and wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (up to 3 days).
For the Strawberry sauce:
- 25 ounces strawberries, hulled
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3-4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Place strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a middle pot. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries soften slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the strawberries by liquid.
- Place 1/3 of strawberries (the smallest) in a bowl with half of liquid sauce. Add 1 tablespoons brandy and set aside to accompany the tarts.
- Puree 2/3 of strawberrys with a fork and place in a pot with half liquid sauce. Cook over medium heat about 5-6 minutes. Allow to cool and mix 2 tablespoons brandy.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of 0.5 cm (about 1/4-inch).
- Using a 10 cm (4 inches) round cookie cutter, cut the dough into circles. Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoon of sauce with pureed strawberries and fold the dough in four sides to form a square. Firmly crimp the corners to avoid cracking. You can also form them in muffins pan.
- Brush with beaten egg and milk and bake in a preheated oven at 195 C (400 F) degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve lukewarm or room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream or crème fraîche.