If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These cookies are based on a recipe that originally appeared in Bon Appetit, for hazelnut shortbread. The first time I made them, I used hazelnuts in the cookie dough but coated them in pistachios because the green color looked nice against the dark chocolate. When I made them again, I used coarsely-chopped pistachios in the dough as well, and I just loved the outcome. either way, I prefer bittersweet chocolate to the milk chocolate called for in the original recipe. - Rivka
Serves 1.5 dozen cookies
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 plus 1/3 cups raw unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces high-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Position a rack in center of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl using an hand mixer or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add 1/2 cup pistachios and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into logs about 3 inches long. Place on baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch of room between each cookie. Bake until golden brown around edges, 18-20 minutes. Cool completely.
- Put chopped chocolate in a double boiler set over barely-simmering water. Stir chocolate until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Place remaining 1/3 cup pistachios in a small shallow bowl. Dip one end of each cookie in the melted chocolate about 1-1 1/2 inches deep. Let excess chocolate drip back into bowl, then roll chocolate-coated end in chopped pistachios. Repeat with the rest of the cookies. Let stand until chocolate has hardened, at least one hour. Cookies will keep in airtight container up to 1 week.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.