If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this is my version of Bolognese sauce. This deviates from the classic version in a number of ways, most notably that I use more tomato than one normally would. What can I say? I like tomatoes. - sweet enough
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 rib celery, finely minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely minced or grated
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds ground beef, pork, and veal divided equally
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can whole san marzano tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can crushed san marzano tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- place the olive oil over a medium high heat in a heavy pan large enough to hold all the ingredients. add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook for about five minutes, stirring every so often to prevent the onion and garlic from burning.
- add the ground meat and cook, stirring, again to prevent burning, for about six or seven minutes or until the meat starts to crumble as the rawness cooks out. add the milk and cream and cook over medium heat until all of it absorbs into the meat mixture. add the thyme leaves and wine and do the same. this whole process should take about 20 minutes.
- add the tomato paste and stir to incorporate completely. add the two cans of tomatoes and bay leaves. lower heat to a simmer. cover and cook for at least one hour but preferably two, stirring occasionally to prevent anything from catching on the bottom or the pan. check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. I don't find this needs much salt but to each his own.
- serve over pasta of choice.
Take Some Time For Yourself
Indulge in a luxe dinner tonight.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Grilled Brie Sandwiches
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Dumplings, No Recipe Required