Author Notes: I can't remember when I had my first frozen chocolate dipped banana but I knew that I had fallen in love. Frozen bananas are creamy like ice cream and only get better when they're covered in chilled dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt or crushed peanuts. It's a great summer dessert that you'll end up eating while still standing in front of the freezer. - Brooklyn Salt
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled
- 7-8 ounces semisweet chocolate (bar or chips)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Toppings (nuts, sea salt, etc), optional
- Set a small pot of water on the stove over very low heat. Once the water is steaming, place a large bowl on top of the pot. Add the chocolate and butter to the bowl and allow them to melt slowly from the second-hand heat as you gently stir. If you melt chocolate directly over stove heat, it will burn and seize up, so don’t skip this “double boiler” method.
- Once the chocolate and butter are melted and combined, place bananas in the chocolate one at a time, spooning it until fully coated. Lift bananas out, allow excess chocolate to drip off and place the bananas on a parchment-lined cookie sheet or platter.
- Sprinkle dipped bananas with toppings of your choice and place in the freezer. Once frozen, eat one! Transfer extras to an airtight container or wrap them in tinfoil and return them to freezer for storing until you can enjoy them all.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert