Author Notes: Lately my favorite toy is my ice cream machine. I am making three different ice cream flavors this week - Piña Colada being the first. And OH YEAH. It's delicious. In fact, I'm eating it right now. Despite brain freeze and all. Truth is, it's just really hard to stop. Multitasking, right? This was an obvious first-choice flavor being that it's summer and all. The perfect beach-time ice cream! I top it with delicious toasted coconut and fresh pineapple. It's basically a tropical paradise in your mouth.......now who wouldn't want that?? Oh and PS - it's figure friendly too - low fat, low GI and no refined sugar. So feel free to indulge and have seconds. I got your back this bikini season. - Secrets of a Foodie
Piña Colada Ice Cream
- 1 cup Fat free Greek yogurt
- 16 ounces bag of frozen pinneapple chunks (just pineapple, no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup Agave nectar (or honey)
- 1/4 cup Almond milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 packets of Truvia or Splenda
- Set aside 1/3 cup of the pineapple chunks in a separate bowl to use as an ice cream topping for later.
- In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and let churn for about 20 minutes or until the ice cream stops moving and has become "ice cream".
- While the ice cream is churning, prepare your Toasted Coconut Topping (recipe below) and cut thawed-out pineapple chunks into smaller pieces (roughly cut them into 1/4 to 1/2 inch chunks).
- When ice cream is finished, immediately scoop into individual bowl and top with pineapple chunks and toasted coconut.
Toasted Coconut Topping
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 to 3 packets Truvia or Splenda
- Combine coconut and Truvia or Splenda in a bowl.
- Toast in a skillet over medium heat until brown and fragrant. Stir frequently so it doesn't burn (about 3 minutes). Store left over coconut in an air tight container in the fridge to use later.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert