If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Jeni's Ice Cream Base w/ a generous dose of toasted caraway seeds, orange zest and Rye whiskey. This unexpected flavor has forced it's way into my top ten flavors. There's no bread in this recipe, but one friend said it tasted like the best loaf of pumpernickel bread he's ever had!
*Choose a brand of rye whiskey that is spicy and savory rather than sweet. I used Austin Nichols Russel's Reserve 6 yr Rye Whiskey. - Michael Okusa
Makes 1 quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 orange, zest removed in wide strips
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons rye whiskey
- Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make slurry. Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a bowl. Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Toast the caraway seeds in a large saucepan over medium high heat until they are just starting to become fragrant. Then add the remaining milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup. Bring the mixture to a simmer, remove from the heat and let steep for 1 hour or until the caraway flavor is strong enough for you.
- Strain out the caraway seeds and return the infused mixture to the saucepan with the strips of orange zest. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cornstarch-milk mixture. Bring the mixture back to a boil with a heatproof spatula, thicken slightly, about a minute. Remove from the heat.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon Ziploc freezer bag and submerge sealed bag into the ice bath. Let stand, adding more ice as necessary, until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the ice cream base into the frozen canister, add the rye whiskey and spin until thick and creamy. Pack the ice cream into a storage container. Press a sheet of parchment directly against the surface, and seal with an airtight lid. Freeze in the coldest part of the freezer until firm, at least 4 hours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.