If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love Panettone! It's an Italian fruit bread that pretends to be a fruit cake and every Christmas in Brasil someone messes with tradition and makes it even better!Here's my decadent version,perfect for a tropical holiday.Glazed panettone filled with vanilla ice cream and chocolate mousse.Enjoy...and merry Christmas! - mensaque
FOR THE PANETTONE:
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 160g butter
- 12g fresh yeast
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 4 eggs+3 youlks
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 orange (zest and juice)
- 1/2 lemon (zest)
- 1 cup candied citron and orange
- 1 cup black raisins
- Start with the yeast,dissolving it in the milk with 2 tbs of sugar and adding 3/4 cup of flour.Let it rise sealed in a bowl till doubled in volume.Then add butter,1 and 1/2 cups of flour,sugar and 2 eggs.Work the dough and let it rise till it doubles in volume again.Finally add the remaining flour and eggs plus youlks and mix it with an wooden spon till it becomes an elastic yet dry dough.Add salt,vanilla,rum,zest and juice,candied fruit and raisins.Let it rise for the 3rd time till it doubles in volume again.
- Line a buttered baking dish with parchment paper,bottom and sides.The dish mustn't be too big.Nothing over 8 to 10 inches in diameter,but ironically the dough will rise to 8 to 10 inches in height (last time,I promess!) so If your dish is too low,the paper will hold the dough in : just cut it higher and fold the sides together so they won't burst opened.Make the dough into a ball, place it in the lined dish and let it rise for the already mentioned last time.Let it breathe for 15 min.so it forms a crust on top.
- Pre-heat the oven in 390oF.Cut a cross on the surface of the dough and place a small cube of butter in the center.Place a small bowl of water on the lower rack so it won't get dry and bake it for 10 minutes at 375 then lower to 350 and leave it for another 50 min.
- Let it cool,remove it from the dish but DON'T peel off the paper.Cut the top off and save it.Carve some of the middle to make room for the filling.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:
- 1/2 pound melted dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- Beat the egg whites till firm then add to them a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking powder...I call it "Egg White Viagra" cause it makes them harder for longer.
- On a different bowl,mix egg youlks,butter and sugar.When it becomes a lighter cream add the melted chocolate,heavy cream and rum.Fold the whites in carefully not to loose too much air.Leave it in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- FOR THE EXTRA DECADENCE:(ICE CREAM AND ICING) Fill the bottom half of the carved space in the panettone with vanilla ice cream,add some crumbs and finish with the chocolate mousse.Place the top of the panettone back and glaze it with a simple sugar icing.(Just add powdered sugar ,1 spoon at a time to 3 or 4 spoons of hole milk till it gets spreadable.)Some candied cherrys for decoration and you can put it in the freezer for 2 hours before serving.Cut it with a warm serrated knife.The paper adds charm and helps to hold everything in place.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert