If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When we have family gatherings someone almost always makes an ice cream sandwich dessert - layers of ice cream sandwiches and whipped topping topped with chocolate or caramel sauce and laced with nuts. It's a hit with young and old and only takes a few minutes to assemble and then freeze. I decided to try and make a similar one without the ice cream sandwiches and whipped topping. Real whipped cream, chocolate graham crackers and a pudding filling make for this dessert to feed a crowd. A little piece goes a long way!! - inpatskitchen
Makes one 9x13 inch pan and serves many
For the pudding filling
- 6 egg yolks from extra large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (granules) mixed with 1/4 cup water to dissolve
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar together until very pale yellow and then transfer to a double boiler or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Slowly add the milk to the egg sugar mixture, whisking all the way, while on the heat. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens and heavily coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the gelatin mixture and vanilla extract. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate a few hours to thicken more. ( You can do this the day before assembling the dessert)
- Whip the cup and a half of whipping cream and then fold into the pudding mixture. Return to the fridge until ready to assemble.
For the second filling and topping and assembly
- 8 ounces softened mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whipping cream
- Two 14.4 ounce packages chocolate graham crackers (you won't need all of them)
- Chocolate and caramel sauce
- Chopped salted peanuts or English toffee bits
- The previously made pudding filling
- In a large mixing bowl beat the mascarpone, powdered sugar and vanilla. Slowly add the whipping cream while continuing to beat until fluffy.
- Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with high sides with a single layer of the chocolate graham crackers, breaking some of them to fit in the pan. ( I use a disposable pan with a domed lid)
- Spread 1/2 of the pudding filling over the crackers to completely cover and then place another single layer of graham crackers over.
- Spread 1/2 of the whipped mascarpone and whipping cream topping over and then drizzle with a little chocolate and caramel sauce and scatter with the chopped nuts.
- Repeat with another layer of crackers, the remainder of the pudding filling, more graham crackers and then top with the remaining mascarpone and whipped cream topping. Drizzle with more chocolate and caramel sauce and sprinkle with the nuts.
- Cover and place in the freezer until ready to serve or at least 6 hours. (Can be made a week ahead) When ready to serve, let the dessert sit out for 20 minutes or so before cutting into small squares.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.