Author Notes: Soft lemony colored sherbet with little flecks of yellow and green zests, this is a tart and tangy palate cleanser. The word "sherbet" conjures up memories of my grandmother stirring the trays of sherbet that she made on hot summer days. Now it's easy to make with the help of an ice cream maker which does all the stirring. - dymnyno
Serves makes about a pint 1/2
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 7 ounces lemon pulp
- 3 ounces lime pulp
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cups ultrafine sugar , plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Using a micro plane, zest the lemons and limes.
- Cut off the ends of each lemon and lime , stand the fruit on end and cut the skin and pith from the fruit.
- Using a sharp knife, pop the pulp from between each membrane into a bowl until you have about 7 ounces of lemon pulp and 3 ounces of lime pulp.
- Add the pulp, 2 cups of buttermilk, corn syrup and about 3/4 cup sugar into a blender and blend until smooth. Check the taste and add more sugar if needed,
- Mix in the zest.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to directions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert