Author Notes: Not sure where this originally came from - for me it came from Aunt Fran. Complete with the embellishments we cousins liked to add! A good quality candy cane is key - one that has the red stripe running THROUGH it, not just painted on. - QueenOfGreen
- Brownie Layer
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Peppermint Filling
- 1 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- 2-3 tablespoons peppermint Schnapps
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- few drops green food coloring
- Chocolate Drizzle
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red striped candy cane, crushed
- For the Brownie Layer: In a double-boiler, melt chocolate and butter together over hot water. Remove from heat. Beat eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir the chocolate mixture, flour and nuts into the egg mixture. Beat well. Pour into a greased and floured 9-inch square baking pan. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the Peppermint Filling: Beat together all ingredients, except food coloring, until smooth. Add food coloring, a few drops at a time, until desired degree of greenness is reached. (We generally go for a pale shade, but whatever - live it up!)
- For the Chocolate Drizzle: In a double-boiler, melt chocolate and butter over hot water. Stir until smooth.
- To assemble: Spread Peppermint Filling over the Brownie Layer. Cover and chill until firm. Remove in one full piece from pan. Put slightly cooled Chocolate Drizzle in a zip-lock plastic baggie, and cut a small corner. Drizzle chocolate over, allowing green to show through. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane. Chill until set. Cut into 1"x3" sticks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie