Author Notes: The punch gets its name from the red wine and sparkling wine used to create it. I’ve always liked mulled wine, but found it a little heavy and syrupy to consider it a “punch.” By adding the sparkling wine to the recipe, it has a nice effervescence that brightens the drink. I also wanted additional depth of flavor, so it combines elements of traditional sangria recipes.
- 1 cup cranberries
- 3 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons mulling spices (cinnamon, orange rind, allspice, and cloves)
- Bring the ingredients for the "Cranberry Base" to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain and cool liquid. Discard used cranberries and mulling spices.
- 4 cups red wine (sweet and fruity preferred)
- 4 ounces brandy
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur (Grand Marnier, Cointreau, etc.)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sparkling wine or Champagne
- Combine “Wine Addition” with "Cranberry Base." Add fresh cranberries and ice. Frozen cranberry juice cubes can be substituted for the ice cubes for additional cranberry flavor.