Author Notes: This recipe, like many of my brainwaves, came during a kitchen emergency. I was making salad dressing and realized I was out of both salt and soy sauce. I'd already mixed up most of it, so I cast around for something salty and came across my bottle of Red Boat fish sauce. Adding it slowly, I realized it gave the dressing a wonderful flavor, and made it sufficiently salty as well. Since I'd already added fish sauce, I added a few other Vietnamese-ish things I had lying around the house, and voila! A new salad dressing.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2-2 tablespoon Vietnamese fish sauce
- lots of white or black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, basil or Thai basil
- Mix everything together except fish sauce and shake it up in a jar.
- Fish sauces vary a lot in how strong they are.... start with 1/2 tablespoon of fish sauce, stir it in, and then keep adding as you see fit, stirring and tasting after each 1/2 tablespoon or so.
- Serve over your favorite salad.