Author Notes: My number 2 college son started making his own ginger ale syrup years ago. It's fabulous and so refreshing during the summer months. It's easy to make. I think you'll love it. You will need a boat load of fresh ginger, sugar, water, limes and a bit of mint which is optional, but you really shouldn't omit it. - Janet @ simplysogood.com
Makes approx. 1 quart
- 2 cups fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 liter sparkling water
- fresh lime slices
- fresh mint leaves, optional
- To make the Ginger syrup: In a medium size sauce pan, heat the water and ginger until it reaches a low simmer. Simmer for five minutes. Remove from the heat and cover. Let stand for 1 hour.
- After one hour, drain the juices through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the ginger pieces. Let cool then place in a jar and refrigerate.
- To make the Ginger Ale: In a tall glass, add 1 part lime juice (about 1/2 lime per glass), 2 parts ginger syrup, and 3 parts sparkling water. Stir to combine the liquids. Fill glass with ice. If desired, add fresh mint.
- Adjust to your liking. I always end up adding more lime juice.