If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last spring we went to Frankfurt for a conference. After the conference we decided to do some travel through western Germany and eastern France. The Germans love pig products and serve it at every meal and I gained about 6 lbs. in a week. One seemingly ubiquitous snack was the salami sandwich. Mainly it was just salami and bread, sometimes salami, butter and bread and more rare but also spotted salami and cheese. I picked these up almost everyday for our lunch as it seemed to be a sound and durable road snack. I found riding around in a Spanish station wagon across the German countryside eating salami sandwiches very charming. —Summer of Eggplant
Kale Pesto - Makes 1 cup
- 1 large bunch kale, about 1 lb.
- 1/4 cup toasted almond slivers
- 2 ounces parmesan
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano chopped
- salt and pepper
German Salami Sandwich with Kale Pesto
- 2 soft individual baguettes or ciabatta rolls
- 10 slices salami
- 4 slices quality provolone
- Remove the very hard stalks from the kale. To make the pesto, heat a pot of water to a boil, blanche kale and garlic in boiling water for 3 minutes, cool under running water and dry off.
- Place kale, garlic, parmesan, almonds, oregano, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup olive in in food processor and process until a slight;y chunky paste forms. Scrape down the sides and add in remaining olive oil. Refrigerate or freeze for later.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise and smear with roughly 3 tbs. on the pesto, you may want to put it on both sides to secure the meat and cheese. Add 5 slices meat and and 2 slices cheese to each sandwich, slice in half again and wrap up for the road.
- If not actually travellng, I toast both sides of the bread, put the meat on the underside of the bread and the cheese on top and return it to the oven to melt, then top it with the top side with the pesto. Slice in half and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).