If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When my daughter was a baby and old enough to eat finger food, two of her favorite things were Cheerios and American cheese. It’s hard to put American cheese in one of those little plastic travel bowls that kids use, so I used to smush a little cheese between two Cheerios. We called them Cheese Bite Sandwiches, and they were great for traveling.
I thought of this when planning snacks for road trips. This is more concept than recipe, and it’s endlessly adaptable, so have fun with it. You need small thin crackers (I’m using Wheat Thins in the photo), cream cheese, and mix ins for snacks. You just spread a bit onto each cracker, and press them together to make mini sandwiches. They make great airplane snacks, too!
Proportions are guesstimates--you'll adjust according to your taste. Basically, you blend the ingredients together with a fork, add a little milk (or other liquid) if it's too crumbly, or a little more cheese if it's wet. Spread about 1/4 teaspoon on one cracker, top with the other, and you're good to go. Store them in an airtight container, and refrigerate till you hit the road.
Serves a whole bunch
- Bagel flavored sandwiches: 1/4 cup cream cheese 1 ounce smoked salmon, finely minced 1/2 teaspoon minced chives 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh dill A bit of salt
- Za’atar spiced cream cheese: 1/4 cup cream cheese 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1/2 teaspoon sumac 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste) Lemon zest to taste
- Greek style: 1/4 cup cream cheese 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 1 teaspoon minced Kalamata olives About 1/2 teaspoon or so of milk
- Fig-Anise: 1/4 cup cream cheese 2 tablespoons fig butter or jam 1 teaspoon Samba or other anise-flavored liqueur Orange zest to taste A tiny bit of kosher salt (~1/8 teaspoon)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
Quick! Make these summery recipes while there's still time
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Let's iron things out.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
The best shots from the Food52 Baking Cookbook.
Storage made crystal clear.