Author Notes: This is a recipe my mother and I used to make for the holidays in the 1970's. It is typewritten on yellow stationary, folded, and stained. I don't know its source, possibly from one of my mother's friends. - donnaweaves
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3/4 cups butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- Combine sugar and almond extract. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, flour, baking powder and salt. Blend at low speed until a dough forms. Knead on a floured surface until smooth.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out one half to a 15 x 9 inch rectangle. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of sugar/almond mixture. Fold one end of dough over center, then other end, forming a 3-layer package. Twist one quarter turn and roll out to 15 x 9 inches again. Repeat for a total of 3 times, using 3 - 4 tablespoons of sugar mixture each time. Repeat with other half of dough.
- After the final folding, roll each batch of dough to an 18 x 9 inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife cut dough into 3 x 1 1/2 inch strips. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets immediately. Cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie