Author Notes: This series of burritos is an affectionate tribute to the late Gram Parsons and The Flying Burrito Brothers. Burritos and the Burrito Brothers both played an important part in my life back when I was a starving grad student in LA. For many of my peers it was ramen packages but for me it was burritos, along with late night runs to Tommy Burger up on Rampart and Beverly. For the “Goat Sucker” sauce use this link, http://food52.com/recipes/22897-pierino-s-goat-sucker-hot-sauce.
For Hot Burrito #1 I’m using lamb but it’s completely appropriate and even desirable to substitute goat if you can find it. This burrito is best done “mission style”, wrapped in foil. See Food52 “Not Recipes” feature page for the technique.
This is one damn good burrito. - pierino
Makes 6 burritos
- 8 ounces fresh, thinly sliced lamb steak (or even better, goat steak)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- sea salt
- 1 white onion
- 1/3 pound firm goat or sheep cheese, one which you can grate; cheddar, Basque or idiazabal etc.
- 1/2 of one bunch of fresh cilantro (rinsed and dried in paper towel)
- 1 32 ounce can of refried beans
- 6 10” flour tortillas
- Goat Sucker sauce
- 6 sheets of aluminum foil
- Give the lamb (or goat) a dry marinade of salt and oregano and allow to rest in the refrigerator for two hours before cooking.
- Chop the onion and the cilantro. Mix together in a bowl.
- Using a ridged grill pan, or outside grill (even wood fired) cook the lamb/goat steaks evenly. When they are finished let them rest for 10 minutes until they are cool enough to work with. Now, chop them up.
- Warm the refried beans and grate your cheese.
- Take your sheets of aluminum foil and lay down a tortilla upon each, one by one.
- Spread cheese over the tortilla, top with refried beans followed by the onion/cilantro mix and the chopped lamb. Drizzle with Goat Sucker sauce, roll and wrap.
- Repeat with each tortilla until you run out of fillings. Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Unwrap and decorate with rhinestones (VERY optional). Choking hazard! DON'T eat the rhinestones.
- Don't look at me like that.