Author Notes: This is a traditional Portuguese Christmas dish. We always prepare it for Christmas Eve. It's simple to cook and nutritious for you (who said Christmas sweets are all bad for you). - Candyland Queens
- 1 pound of angel hair pasta
- 2 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 piece of lemon rind
- Cook the angel hair in a half full pot of boiled water with salt. Let it boil for 10 min on medium-high until it's entirely cooked. Drain thoroughly.
- In a saucepan pour the milk in with the sugar, butter, cinnamon, and lemon rind. Mix everything with a wooden spoon and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- After it is done simmering, add the pasta to the mixture. Let it cook at medium-low and mix it with a wooden spoon at all times until most of the fluid is evaporated (it should have the consistency of a pudding). Remove the cinnamon stick and lemon rind.
- The last step is adding the beaten eggs to the mixture. Be careful as this is the most difficult part of the process. You have to mix them together quickly otherwise you will get small pieces of cooked egg in the pasta. After you have added the egg yolks, mix quickly with a wooden spoon until the eggs have been evenly distributed to the whole mixture. It should not take more than 4 min. After that remove from the heat.
- Pour it on a serving dish or small bowls and decorate with ground cinnamon. You can make little designs or write something down on it. Be creative! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!