If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a great basic recipe that can be tweeked to include whatever is on hand - chez la mere
- 1 bunch kale
- 10-12 whole brussel sprouts
- 1/2 purple onion
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries, cherries, apricots...whatever
- 1/3 cup parmesan slivers, slices etc whatever on hand
- for the dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice depending on how tart you like your salads
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Remove the ribs and thinly slice the leaves of kale (rinse and spin in salad spinner); cut the Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise and thinly slice them too, holding onto the stem (and then tossing the bitter middle stem section out so that there are only tender leaves). I rinse and spin these also before adding kale leaves, brussel sprout leaves with the sliced purple onion. Add the sliced or whole (whatever is on hand) almonds, Add the chopped up dried fruit your using. Set aside To make the dressing, shake all the ingredients together in a jar or whisk them in a small bowl. I use an old glass dairy cream bottle that I never returned to recycle and generally I shake the sh*t out of it until nice and creamy. Taste the dressing first....if you want the salad a little more tart this is where to add the extra lemon juice. and reshake . Drizzle generously over the kale and Brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Scatter with Parmesan and serve. Or refrigerate so the volume decreases a little and the dressing is absorbed a little. I generally let it sit in the fridge for about 1/2 hour. Its amazingly good the next day . I tent to grab a forkfull whenever I pass the fridge the next day. Just know that this salad is kinda "gassy" after consuming it.
- This is my take from a recipe viewed on this blog http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2013/03/11/kale-brussels-sprout-salad/
- and I believe it is also posted somewhere on Bon Appetite.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.