If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an anytime, any season pantry frozen treat -- no ice cream machine required. Spence serves it year-round at Amis in Philadelphia, on blueberry tarts and in hot fudge sundaes, over spiced pound cake and yeasted waffles, and blended into maple milkshakes. Adapted from Amis Restaurant in Philadelphia, PA. Note: The eggs in this recipe aren't cooked. Just buy them from a trustworthy source -- Spence's come from Green Meadow Farm in Gap, PA -- or you can use pasteurized eggs. - Genius Recipes
Serves 6 to 8
- 8 egg yolks + 4 egg whites, divided (save remaining 4 egg whites for another use)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar (175 grams)
- 1 stick + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate wafers, for serving (optional)
- Jam, for serving (optional)
- Melt butter, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Cream egg yolks and sugar until they become light, creamy, and fluffy. While mixing, drizzle cooled butter into sugar-egg yolk mixture.
- Fold salt into sugar-egg yolk mixture.
- Whisk heavy cream to medium-to-stiff peaks and fold into sugar-egg yolk mixture.
- Whisk egg whites to peaks and fold into semifreddo mixture. Pour into a container, cover tightly, and freeze for several hours or overnight to set.
- Serve in scoops, topped with crumbled chocolate wafers and jam, if desired. This semifreddo will keep for two to three days tightly sealed in the freezer -- after this it will start to break down.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
A Genius Dinner Party: Part 2
Of course, it involves no-knead pizza dough.
A genius dinner party: part 2
A list of things we like.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Home & design links we love.
Mortar and pestle perfection.