If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I picked up some fresh goat's milk ricotta from Harley Farms in Pescadero, I knew I had to put it to good use. Eating it with a spoon just wasn't an option. I mentioned ice cream to the owner, and she recommended that I use a recipe with a custard base. After I discovered that most ricotta ice cream recipes don't use eggs, I decided to come up with my own recipe. Being an ice cream newbie, I was nervous at first, but my creamy base fluffed up perfectly, forming exquisite clouds of ice cream that taste like a better version of a ricotta tart. - TheBunAlsoRises
Makes 1 scant quart of ice cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus two tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese (the fresher the better!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Whisk together egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Combine remaining sugar, milk, and heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until boiling. Pour a cup of the liquid into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. When combined, pour the egg yolks back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until heated through and combined thoroughly. Add vanilla, lemon juice, and salt.
- Pour mixture into a blender or food processor (good idea to let the milk cool first before you do this). Add ricotta. Blend until smooth. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve into another bowl, set over an ice bath. Stir until cool. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Process custard in your ice cream machine for about 25-30 minutes, or until it becomes fluffy and pillowy. Place in a container and freeze for a few hours. Let it sit out at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
Snacks, Strike A Pose
Our San Francisco Instameet, captured on camera.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.