If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I enjoy baking with whole ingredients for general nutrition concerns, and because I find that their flavors are often heartier and more satisfying. I was staring at the bananas darkening away in my fruit basket, mulling over what to do with the half pound of so of strawberries left from my earlier week's shopping trip, and deciding whether to have coffee or tea this morning when this recipe was created. Inspiration and technical guidance taken from the delicious Banana Bread recipe by Merrill and Rustic French Honey Cake recipe by Thirschfeld. Thank you!
A few notes:
If you don't have turbinado on hand, substitute a scant 1/2cup of brown sugar. The Rye adds a nice flavor, but you can use 100% whole wheat or white whole wheat flour if that's what you have on hand. The applesauce takes the place of the typical fat and keeps the bread very moist. Try not to overmix the ingredients when combining wet and dry, or the bread will be dense and your strawberries will sink to the bottom. —Celestyyne
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Whole Rye Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup turbinado Sugar
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Whole Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 very ripe Bananas, mashed
- 1.5 cups Strawberries, diced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep a 9x5 loaf pan by lining with parchment/non-stick foil, butter/non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas and then add the eggs, applesauce, and honey. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry with a spatula, until JUST combined. Fold in the strawberries
- Transfer the mixture to the loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes until the top is firm to the touch and the loaf is golden brown.
- After removing from the oven, allow the bread to cool in the loaf pan for 10-20 minutes. Remove the loaf from the pan, place on a wire rack, and allow to cool completely before slicing.
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.