If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm a tomato hoarder.
I don't mean to be, but every summer when I go to the farmer's market, I have this knack for forgetting that I already have tomatoes at home, and then after a week or so, I find myself staring down a mountain of at-their-peak tomatoes. And while I can shovel down fresh tomatoes one after the other with hardly a breath in between, there comes a point where I just have too many, and I have to *do* something with them.
This dish is one of my favorite ways to cook up tomatoes. It's assembled in about 30 seconds; the oven does the rest. I love the floral quality of oregano here, but you can use thyme or rosemary or whatever other herbs you'd like. Use your favorite feta; I prefer sheep's milk, which is nice and tangy, but I've used cow feta as well. In any case, the cheese should be salty enough for you not to need additional salt.
When the dish is ready, I dig into it using crusty pieces of bread to scoop up pieces of cheese and tomato, using the soft insides to sop up the juice. I say that this dish can feed 4 as an appetizer, but I can clear most of it by myself. It must be the hoarder in me. - vvvanessa
Serves 4 as an appetizer or side dish
- 2-3 cups cherry tomatoes, stemmed, washed, and dried
- 8 ounces block feta cheese cut into 2 playing-card-sized slabs
- 8-10 sprigs fresh oregano
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for finishing
- baguettes or other sturdy, crusty bread
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Pour the tomatoes into an 8"x8" baking dish. Lay half the oregano sprigs on top of the tomatoes. Lay the slabs of feta on top of the oregano, then top with the rest of the oregano. Add a dusting of freshly ground black pepper, then drizzle the olive oil over the whole dish.
- Bake until the feta turns golden and the tomatoes soften and give off their juice, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with lots of bread and extra olive oil if you like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
It's Egg Alchemy
Make scrambled egg magic—in 15 seconds.
Magically creamy scrambled eggs—in 15 seconds.
Cool eats for hot days.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.