If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These decadent cupcakes are a delicious tea time treat or as an indulgent after dinner dessert. —CLIP Creative and PR
Serves 12 people
- 250 grams of butter, softened
- 140 grams of caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 300 grams of plain flour
- 60 grams of unsalted butter
- 150 grams of caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 10 grams of cocoa powder
- 20 milliliters red floor colouring
- 0.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 120 milliliters buttermilk
- 150 grams of plain flour
- 0.5 teaspoons salt
- 0.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 140 grams of softened butter
- 280 grams of icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Method for the shortbread: Grease and line an oven proof baking tray. Mix 250g softened butter and 140g caster sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Then add 1 egg yolk and 2 tsp vanilla extract and briefly beat to combine. Sift over 300g plain flour and stir until the mixture is well combined you will need to get your hands in at the end to give everything a really good mix and press the dough together. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Once the dough has been chilled take out the fridge and preheat the oven to 120 degrees centigrade. Roll out the dough till it is an inch thick and using a butterfly cutter or any other biscuit cutter cut out biscuit shapes. Place these on to the baking tray and turn up the oven to 180 degrees Bake for 10- 12 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooked transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Optional you can ice your shortbread with royal icing if you wish.
- Method for the red velvet cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 120 degrees centigrade. Line a 12 hole cake tin with paper cases. Mix the softened butter and sugar until cream. Add the eggs in one by one. In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract to make a thick, dark paste. Add to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly until evenly combined and coloured. Slowly pour in half the buttermilk and beat until well mixed, then add half the flour, and beat until everything is well incorporated. Repeat this process until all the buttermilk and flour have been added. Then add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar and beat until well mixed Turn the oven up to 180 degrees centigrade. Spoon the cake mixture evenly between the 12 cake cases. Cook in the oven for 20 -25 minutes or until the cakes are cooked. Once cooked place on to a wire rack until completely cool. Place in an air tight container in a cool, dry place..
- Method for the frosting: Mix the butter, icing sugar and frosting until the mixture has combined and looks and feels like the consistency of ice cream.
- Method to assemble the cakes: Spread and cover all the chocolate cakes with a tablespoon of frosting, alternatively pipe the frosting on to the cup cakes. Place one piece of shortbread biscuit on to each frosted cake. Sprinkle with strawberry meringue crumbles to finish.
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.