If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's Rosh Hashanah! And I was going to make my Ginger Apple Torte to bring to friends for dinner, but I decided to change up the recipe and use apples and honey, but keep the same basic profile. And I made the instructions a little easier, so you can actually make it without destroying your entire kitchen. - drbabs
Makes 1 9" cake
- 3 large apples, divided
- 3 tablespoons honey, divided
- 6 ounces unsalted butter + more for the pan
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for the top of the cake
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or soured milk
- ~1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- Heat oven to 350. Butter a 9” springform pan. Core and peel apples, and cut into thin slices. Set aside 6-8 slices for the top of the cake. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan and continue cooking till brown and nutty smelling. Sauté apples in browned butter till soft. Stir in a tablespoon of honey, and continue to cook till apples are softened and browned. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. In a medium liquid measuring cup, stir together rum, vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- n a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream 4 ounces butter and brown sugar till light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Beat in 2 eggs and add two tablespoons of honey. Beat till thoroughly blended.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to the bowl, stirring gently after each addition. Finish stirring by hand, ensuring that there are no pockets of flour and the batter is thoroughly combined.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Cover with sautéed apples and spread the other half of the batter over the apples. Smooth the top, and place the reserved raw apple slices on top, fanning them out in a circle. Pour turbinado sugar over the top and sprinkle the sugar layer with a little cinnamon.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. The cake may slightly pull away from the sides of the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack and let rest for 10 minutes. Open the ring and remove the sides of the pan. If you want to remove the cake from the base of the springform pan, wait until it has cooled completely, then slide a long thin spatula between the cake and the base. Use a large spatula to then move it to a serving plate.
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!