If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Home tastes like green chiles, which is why I add them to everything. Breads, vegetables, sides and even dessert; you name it, I've tried it. Since moving to Texas, my freezer has become a hoard of precious chiles that seem to dwindle much too quickly, thanks in part to recipes like this. These potatoes get jazzed up with the addition of spicy Hatch green chile and New Mexico red-chile powder. I love paring this dish with a good Texas brisket so that my husband gets his southern fix while I get my beloved chiles. —Katie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds russet potatoes- washed, peeled and thinly sliced (1/8 in thick)
- 1 cup HOT New Mexican green chile- roasted, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon mild New Mexican red chile powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Rub butter on bottom of 8 x 11 inch baking dish
- Whisk together cream with pepper and salt in medium bowl. Put sliced potatoes in cream mixture so that all potatoes are covered with cream.
- Pour enough of cream mixture to cover the bottom of baking dish with a thin layer of cream, then arrange a layer of slightly overlapping potatoes atop the cream.
- Sprinke 1/3 cup chopped green chile over potatoes, then sprinkle 1/3 of each cheese over chiles. Continue layering potatoes, chile, cheeses and cream until you've used them all, ending with remaining cream mixture poured over final top layer of potatoes (evenly poured over entire dish).
- Sprinkle red chile powder over top layer of cream.
- Bake 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours, or until potatoes are tender and golden brown on top. (Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of potatoes. Check dish at 1 hour to determine cook time)
- Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes, enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.