Author Notes: Ever on the search for the perfect quick breads and cakes, these beauties go a step beyond the usual corn bread and muffins. Not too much sugar and a touch of honey bring out the natural sweetness in the corn. - erinmcdowell
Makes 10 individual cakes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup polenta (or very coarse yellow cornmeal)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- creme fraiche, as needed for serving
- honey, as needed for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder, and salt to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the butter, honey, egg. and buttermilk together to combine.
- Combine the wet and the dry ingredients just to combine. Fold in the corn kernels.
- Scoop the batter into a lightly greased standard muffin molds. Fill 3/4 of the way full (these cakes won't peak - the surface stays flat, making them look more like individual cakes than a standard muffin or cupcake).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until golden on the surface and baked through, 12-15 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of creme fraiche and a drizzle of more honey.