If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a salmon recipe I adapted from the original I found in Bon Appetit Magazine's (March 2012) Issue. I simplified it and added the option of white miso paste to further enhance the "umami" flavors of this dish. - cucina di mammina
- 2-4 6 oz. wild alaskan sockeye salmon fillets (skin on or off as preferred)
- 2-3 teaspoons wasabi paste (to desired taste)
- light sodium soy sauce
- white miso paste
- 4 baby bok choy, split lengthwise
- 1 packet shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- vegetable or light olive oil
- 1-1/2 inch fresh ginger root, grated
- 4-6 fresh scallions, trimmed
- Place your salmon fillets on a piece of wax paper and season both sides lightly with salt and pepper to taste (remember the soy sauce has sodium too, so go easy here.) Add a good sprinkle of ginger powder or the fresh grated ginger to the salmon fillets. Place the wasabi paste in a small bowl and using your fingers, apply a small amount to each side of the fish.
- You can add a bit of white miso paste at this point, if you wish (make sure to season both sides.) The miso paste adds another level of what the culinary world calls umami, a fifth taste element described as “savory & unforgettable” (umami in Japanese means “yummy”.)
- Place the seasoned salmon fillets on a large baking sheet, spaced apart and add a good drizzle of soy sauce to each one along with a light drizzle of vegetable or light olive oil. Place your bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and scallions in a large bowl and season with salt, pepper, ginger and soy sauce to taste and add a small drizzle of oil and place around the salmon fillets on the baking sheet. Set aside and cover lightly with foil.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit and allow to come to full temperature. Once the oven is ready place the baking tray in the middle of the oven and cook the salmon and vegetable mixture for approximately 12- 15 minutes depending on the thickness (Please be careful not to overcook this fish, better to take it out and test for doneness if you are unsure.)
- Serve the salmon fillets along with white steamed rice and the roasted side vegetables.
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.