If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My favorite way to roast chicken is with lemon and rosemary - I make one pretty much weekly once the weather cools off a bit. The carcass always goes to stock, so I sort of naturally followed the mental path to a roasted chicken soup with "cheater" stock, and then some nice croutons to finish. This is a bit of an afternoon project, which I happen to love on a cool day, but it's fun to spend the day with your soup I think. Perfect for an Autumn evening repast! —aargersi
Roasted Chicken Soup
- 2 large bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 4 carrots
- 4 ribs celery
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 lemons
- 6 cups low salt chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked barley, brown rice or farro (I actually used a combo of the three)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 350. Scrub 2 carrots, 2 celerys, and quarter the onion. Place them on a baking sheet. Put the two chicken breasts on there, and then rub the veggies and the chicken all over with olive oil - make sure the chicken is skin side up on the sheet.. Wash your hands. Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon on the chicken. Sprinkle the veggies and chicken with salt and pepper and into the oven. After 30 minutes remove the veggies and let the chicken cook for another 20-30 minutes until the skin is golden and crisp. Allow it to cool. Snitch some skin (you would anyways so might as well make it official). Remove the chicken meat from the bones, and set them and the uneaten skin aside.
- Now put the stock, roasted veggies, chicken bones and skin into a soup pot. Bring to a simmer and let it go for 30 minutes. Meanwhile peel and dice the other two carrots and dice the other celery. Dry toast the grain in a non stick skillet for several minutes.
- NOW - strain your stock and return it to a soup pot. Add the diced carrots and celery, the grain, and pinch of red pepper. Shred or chop up the chicken and add that, and squeeze in the juice of the second lemon. Taste for salt, simmer for about 10 minutes and taste for salt and heat again. Adjust for both and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Serve with croutons!
Toasted Rosemary Croutons
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices baguette or French bread
- Heat the oven to 400. Mix everything but the bread together, then spread an equal amount on each slice. Put them on a baking sheet and into the oven until they are lightly toasted. Serve with soup!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
Our Latest Contest
Show us Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe
Enter our latest contest!
GMOs: You have the right to know.
It's time to travel.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
Put cake on a pedestal.