If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pimento cheese is, at its core, nothing but tufts of unmelted cheese, a cushion of mayonnaise, and chopped pimentos. Stir together a batch to keep it in the fridge all week -- to stuff in brown-bag sandwiches, on your favorite crackers, in the crook of a celery stick. Parker & Otis in Durham, NC also uses it to make a jaw-dropping upgrade to a grilled cheese with bacon and tomato. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit. - Genius Recipes
Serves 12 as dip or 6 as sandwiches
Pimiento Cheese Dip
- 2 cups sharp yellow cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup drained pimentos or roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- To serve: crackers, baguette slices, assorted raw vegetables
- Mix ingredients in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill. Transfer dip to serving bowl. Surround with crackers, baguette slices, and vegetables. Alternately, make sandwiches (below).
Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches with Bacon & Tomato
- Pimento Cheese Dip (above)
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 12 slices bacon, cooked till crisp
- 1 large, ripe tomato, sliced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread pimento cheese on 6 of the slices of sourdough. Top the cheese for each sandwich with 2 slices of bacon, 1 slice of tomato, then a second slice of bread. Toast each sandwich in a large skillet over low heat till golden brown on both sides, flipping as needed.
- Transfer sandwiches to a baking sheet in the oven to finish warming through and melt the cheese. Serve hot.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!