If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I used to go to Panera Bread and they used to serve steamed milk with different flavored syrups like cinnamon, cardamom, etc. And I wanted to re-create those flavors at home but in an ice cream. And I thought about the different spices that I might need or want. I decided to use cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and then there is always that fourth spice that I forget until I look through my cupboard. It's an interesting ice cream making procedure that I used.
You can use the complex method or the easy method. The complex method yields a much more flavorful ice cream but it takes 2 hours to complete. So, it depends upon how much you might like chai or unique flavors of ice cream. You can really almost use any ice cream base to make the ice cream. So, if you have a favorite ice cream base that you like to use, then you can use that and then just follow my directions for adding the spices. Enjoy! - Karin Ward
- 1 cup Skim Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cups Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Clove
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla or 2 Vanilla Beans Split
- In a saucepan, bring cream and milk to boil over medium heat along with the sugar.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and gradually whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cream into the egg mixture to temper the egg mixture. Then pour the egg mixture into the cream mixture. Add the all of the spices. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Strain the mixture through a coffee filter pushed-up against a metal sieve. This will infuse the mixture with the flavor of the spices and it will also strain the spices from the mixture. This method results in a more intense flavor but this takes 2 hours. Or you can leave the spices in the mixture (easy method).
- Add the Vanilla. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until it has cooled or overnight.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine. Follow the directions and enjoy!